Thrival Academy: Oakland Math/Science Teacher
Thrival World Academies is an emerging network of study abroad public high schools providing students from underserved communities access to education abroad through a program grounded in personalized learning and immersive education abroad. By building a national network of publicly funded, credit-bearing study abroad high schools, Thrival World Academies addresses the challenges of equity, accessibility, and scalability in study abroad for students from underrepresented communities. We believe that international education is central to what it means to be an educated person in the 21st century and strive to make it accessible to all students in America, regardless of race or class.
In the fall of 2016, our flagship site opened in Oakland, CA to serve 11 high school juniors, in partnership with Oakland Unified School District (OUSD). In the 2017-2018 school year, we expanded to two schools; Thrival Academy: Oakland & Thrival Academy: Indy. Thrival Academy Oakland grew to serve 16 students from both 10th and 11th grade and Thrival Academy Indy launched with a cohort of 20 high school juniors in its’ first pilot year. Next year Thrival Academy Oakland will serve up to 40 students in Oakland and Thrival Academy Indy will serve 60 students throughout Indianapolis as a 1 year innovation school. Through our globally focused, interdisciplinary curriculum our students are earning all of their required credits and spending 3 months of the school year abroad at our site in Thailand.
Thrival Academy: Oakland is a one-year study abroad public high school program with the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD). We combine blended learning strategies with cultural immersion in order to produce a community of young globally-minded leaders and learners.
High School Math and Science Teacher
In our third year, Thrival Academy: Oakland is expanding to serve, approximately, 40 students across OUSD. Help us grow our innovative model and provide students with a transformative year of rigorous study. Our school is looking for a talented teacher to join our team. The ideal team member is relentlessly committed to ensuring that traditionally underserved students of color achieve our vision of completing a rigorous year of learning and college and career readiness, through the vehicle of global education. Thrival teachers believe that this vision is not only attainable; it is essential to create change in our Oakland community. If you are inspired by our mission and vision and want to be a changemaker in students’ lives here in Oakland, then please apply and join us!
You will teach a hands-on, inquiry-based conceptual environmental science class while holding a focus on algebraic thinking and mathematical understanding through your Algebra 2 class. You will be responsible for creating conditions for 10th and 11th-grade science students to model their thinking in order to construct an understanding of scientific and mathematical concepts. Along with science, you will also be responsible for teaching one advisory class and math intervention block during the Thailand portion of our school year.
Reports To: School Leader, Thrival Academy: Oakland
- Teach Algebra 2, Environmental Science, and Intervention Math Block (in Thailand)
- Engage in lesson planning, unit planning, teaching and grading
- Attend and actively participate in teacher co-planning workshops, professional development activities, and team and staff meetings to improve teaching craft
- Serve as the Advisor for a cohort of up to 15-20 students, which includes
- Developing & managing student Personalized Learning Plans; includes academic goals, non-academic goals, and post secondary plans
- Conducting weekly 1:1 advisor meetings
- Serving as the primary liaison to students’ families
- Developing a trusting relationship with all advisees in order to serve as the primary academic and social-emotional support
- Regularly collect, track, measure, and communicate student performance and growth to students, parents, and school leader
- Effectively implement purposeful, student-centered, and globally-focused curriculum
- Administer Thrival’s student policies and procedures (i.e. attendance, discipline, etc.)
- Travel to Thailand with the school for 3 months for the immersion phase of the year
- Incorporate cultural competence throughout the curricula and learning experiences for students
- Coordinate and co-plan with local Thai staff to ensure curricular activities in the field in Thailand are implemented effectively and with fidelity
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor
- Demonstrated capacity to maintain a dynamic learning environment under constantly changing classroom conditions
- Ability to connect travel experiences to core curriculum, common core state standards, and students’ lives.
- Experience cultivating conditions for students socio-emotional development within classroom and educational experiences.
- Strong work ethic and ability to maintain work-life balance
- California single subject credential in Math or one of the Sciences
- Experience teaching in Oakland public schools and/or dual-certification preferred
- Proven track-record of student achievement with clear, quantifiable student gains, at least 3 years teaching experience within an urban education environment, preferably Oakland
- Demonstrated ability to utilize both qualitative and quantitative data to inform decision making
- Experience working with diverse populations of students and families
- Willingness to work nonstandard hours and occasional weekends (e.g. for travel, family meetings, etc.)
- Experience with culturally-responsive, problem-based, competency-based instruction, and/or personalized learning strongly preferred
- Experience with digital learning platforms
- Experience with cultural competence training and/or restorative justice practices strongly preferred
- Spanish language proficiency/fluency a plus
This position requires domestic and international travel. Position must be able to spend extensive time abroad at our host site in Thailand during each academic year.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary and benefits commensurate with experience
- Room, board and roundtrip air travel will be provided for international portion of academic year
Interested candidates should submit required materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Thrival Math/Science Teacher.
- Cover letter describing your interest in this exciting position and why you are an optimal fit, including how your teaching philosophy, approach to student learning, and educational expertise would contribute to Thrival Academy: Oakland.
People of color and/or bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application submission screening and initial phone interviews will be completed on a rolling basis. In-person interviews and performance tasks will take place on-site.
Learn more about the model and our work here: www.thrivalacademies.org
Follow the journeys of our current students here: http://thrivalacademies.org/category/oaklandblog/
We are strongly committed to hiring a multicultural staff that is diverse in terms of race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status and/or disability. In particular, we seek to employ a staff that reflects the diversity of our student body. Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).