Thrival Academy: Indy Math Teacher
Thrival Academy: Indy is a study abroad one-year public high school which combines blended learning strategies with cultural immersion in order to incubate young, globally-minded community leaders.
We are looking for dedicated, experienced educators who are interested in a radically new educational model and want to live, learn, and teach abroad for a portion of the school year.
- Teaches geometry and precalculus.
- Teaches ISTEP/ECA math remediation course
- Serves as advisor for a cohort of up to 15 students,
- Developing & managing student Personalized Learning Plans; includes academic goals, non-academic goals, and post-secondary planning
- Conducting weekly 1:1 advisor meetings
- Serving as the primary liaison to students’ families
- Developing a trusting relationship with all advisees in order to serve as the primary academic and social-emotional support
- Works cooperatively with Thrival and Rustic Pathways staff to plan and implement lessons tied to immersion units
- Works collaboratively with school leader at staff to establish and maintain a school culture which aligns to Thrival Academy: Indy vision and mission
- Effectively implements purposeful, student-centered, and globally-focused curriculum
- Employs digital tools and platforms such as Summit Learning, PLATO Learning, and Google Classroom
- Attends and actively participates in teacher co-planning workshops, professional development activities, and team and staff meetings to improve teaching craft
- Travels internationally with the school for 3 months for the immersion phase of the year
- Please note- Teachers do not serve as chaperones while abroad; there is additional staff to manage those duties.
- Incorporates cultural competence throughout the curricula and learning experiences for students
- Regularly collects, tracks, measures, and communicates student performance and growth to school leaders, parents and other stakeholders
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor
- Highly qualified teacher with an Indiana secondary teaching credential in secondary mathematics
- Proven track-record of student achievement with clear, quantifiable student gains
- At least 2 years teaching experience within an urban education environment
- Experience fostering the academic, social, and emotional well-being of students
- Demonstrated ability to utilize both qualitative and quantitative data to inform decision making
- Experience working with diverse populations of students and families
- Willingness to work nonstandard hours and occasional weekends (e.g. for Parent Meetings)
- Experience with culturally-responsive, problem-based, competency-based instruction, and/or personalized learning
- Experience with digital learning platforms
- Experience with cultural competence training and/or restorative justice practices strongly preferred
- Embodies the mission, vision and values of Thrival Academy: Indy
- Committed, in belief and action, to equity, diversity, and public education, with a strong social justice and culturally responsive youth development mindsets
- Committed, in belief and action, to the Thrival Academy: Indy educational model (i.e. global education; immersive, real world learning; project-based learning; personalized instruction)
- Understands that that all students are talented and capable of high level academic achievement and cognitive growth given the appropriate supports and resources
- Displays flexibility in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment of changing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Empathetic, thoughtful, respectful, and responsive to both the Indy community and to the international community
- Resourceful in applying unique teaching applications given differing environments and changing circumstances
- A responsive and adaptive team player; unbound by formal titles and willing to roll up sleeves to ensure student (and staff!) needs are met, particularly during the international portion of the year
- Constant learner who actively seeks and implements feedback
- Entrepreneurial mindset- willingness to be flexible and resourceful
This position requires domestic and international travel. Applicants must be able to spend 3 months abroad at our international campus during each academic year.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary and benefits commensurate with role and experience
- Living expenses covered while abroad (room and board, meals, transportation)
- Roundtrip airfare for required international travel
- Passport and visa fees
We are seeking creative, passionate, committed educators to help launch this innovative new program. We are an equal opportunity employer and we strive for our team to reflect that diversity of the communities that we work with. As a school serving the Indy community, we particularly welcome applications from Indianapolis natives.
To apply, complete the TAI Application for Employment.
We are strongly committed to hiring a multicultural staff that is diverse in terms of race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status and/or disability. In particular, we seek to employ a staff that reflects the diversity of our student body. Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).